The Placement YearFor each student on the Tonmeister programme the third year of registration is normally a Professional Training Year (PTY), during which they will be working for an employer in the audio industry. The PTY scheme has advantages for employers and for students...
For EmployersThis leaflet explains the gist of the placement scheme, gives some examples of how it might help you as an employer, and mentions a few of the other employers who use it: TonmeisterPlacements.pdf
Employers who have registered their intention to offer a placement this year can view shortlists of candidates plus CVs on our Members Only Website.For further information please contact the Tonmeister Senior Professional Training Tutor Tim Brookes
For StudentsThe placement year forms an important part of your education and aims to develop your professional, practical, interpersonal, organisational, and creative &/or technical skills, and to allow you to apply some of the theory that you have learned in the first two years of the programme. Full placement scheme details for current students are available in the programme handbooks and module descriptions but, as a taster, here's what some of the students on placement in 2017/18 thought were the 5 'coolest' (i.e. most useful, interesting, remarkable, exciting, impressive, enjoyable, etc.) things about their placements...
Alice : Abbey Road Studios : Studio Runner
- Worked with Oscar winning composers on Blockbuster film scores
- Learned recording techniques from the world’s best recording engineers with some of the world’s best microphones
- Worked with a lovely and extremely talented team of assistants and engineers
- Worked on a huge variety of recordings from massive film scores to small pop vocal recordings
- Took part in Live To Vinyl sessions with world famous artists and bands
Ashley : AIR Studios : Runner
- Worked on the scores for some of the biggest films of the year
- Met and worked with some top bands, composers, actors and artists, from Biffy Clyro to Johnny Depp
- Got credited as an assistant engineer on over 30 films and TV shows
- Contributed to the technical upkeep and modernisation of a world-class studio
- Ran my own sessions in downtime
Conor : The Dairy Ltd. : Studio Runner
- Met some of my favourite artists.
- Played guitar on a variety of tracks from folk to pop to a TV advert pitch.
- Worked with GRADES on a co-production.
- Used the facilities in downtime to work on production and writing.
- Met the one and only Levi Roots, creator of Reggae Reggae Sauce - it tastes so nice he had to name it twice.
Edie : Monnow Valley : Assistant Engineer
- Asked top producers and engineers loads of annoying questions
- Broke a Wurlitzer
- Made soup for Busted
- Learnt how to fix old gear
- Played keys on an Editors track
Eve : Guildhall School of Music and Drama : Recording Assistant
- Engineered countless sessions with great up-and-coming musicians
- Helped completely renovate the school’s recording studio
- Got free tickets to Love Supreme Jazz Festival
- Met Anoushka Shankar’s cat (and also Anoushka Shankar)
- Was invited to various other studios through people at the school
Ewan : Monnow Valley : Assistant Engineer
- Assisted on sessions with some of my favourite bands including Editors and Idles.
- Learnt how to actually use a recording studio properly.
- Worked with great producers such as Ben Christophers, Leo Abrahams and Dan Austin.
- Got to engineer my first ever professional recording session.
- Shouted in the background on some very good songs.
Fergus : Sky UK : Audio Assistant/Trainee Dubbing Mixer
- Credited twice on Sky TV.
- Engineered Sky Sports Transfer Talk Podcast which reached UK no.1.
- Operated Pro Tools as Martin Black made 'iBLITS' tones for Dolby Atmos 5.1.4
- Ran VO sessions with Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Paul Merson, and more.
- Learned a brand new DAW - Fairlight
Fraser : Real World Studios : Studio Assistant
- Met Joel from Chase Bliss Audio, my pedal hero
- Recorded my school punk band in a studio far too good for us
- Organised an Easter Egg hunt on the studio grounds
- Had many sunny pints at a pub with an amazing view
- Worked with 100s of musicians and made some amazing friends
Gavin : Ben Holland Sound : Sound/Dubbing Assistant
- Mixed VTs that went out on ITV at prime time
- Recorded and mixed everything myself on a Sky show
- Got a credit on a show that I used to watch before working in TV
- Had a beer with Dick and Dom
- Got to travel a lot around the country
Henry : Spitfire Audio Ltd. : Production Intern
- Saw the Release of the LABS Electric Piano that I oreated.
- Went on a 4-Day trip to Snowdonia to make field recordings.
- Created a working prototype of preamp designs I had created.
- Assisted on rtecording session with Hans Zimmer at AIR Studios.
- Was featured in a tube advert.
Isaac : Graveney School : Music and Sound Technician
- Recorded a variety of different instruments and types of music.
- Picked up useful tips about live sound.
- Helped young kids get excited about learning and performing music.
- Tapped into the musical knowledge of very accomplished musicians.
- Practised conducting and rehearsing lively and energetic ensembles.
Jack : Sky : Audio Assistant
- Worked on a 6-hour highlight show of Download festival
- Edited the dialogue for the whole of a primetime Sky show with minimal corrections needed
- Met and recorded a voice over with Matthew LeTissier
- Attended the shoot day for the semi-final of Landscape Artist of the Year
- Created iBlitz with Martin Black ready for the broadcasting of the World Cup
James : Floating Earth : Assistant Engineer
- Worked at the BRIT awards.
- Recorded Simon Callow, then shook his hand.
- Drove from London to Vienna in 23 hours, then drove from Vienna to London in 24 hours 2 days later.
- Made eye-contact with Big Shaq.
- Acquired work from some of the best classical engineers in the country following placement year.
Jamie : Dolby Laboratories : Content Services Group: Student Support Engineer/Transfer Bay Engineer
- Viewed pre-release films in state-of-the-art facilities.
- Visited and helped to align post production studios and screening rooms around London, as well as the Ministry of Sound Atmos club, both as an engineer and a punter.
- Met, ran screenings and gave demos to big names in film/music/technology industries.
- Played Xbox in Cinema and Home Cinema rooms in downtime.
- Company perks: monthly massages, regular family-and-friends screenings, paid overtime, paid evening meal for working late and fat discounts on tech.
Jasper : Peter Gabriel Ltd. : Assistant Engineer
- Went to Rome with Peter to play a show at a global health conference.
- Gained credits on Peter’s music.
- Ran the recording of the D&B Soundscape stage at WOMAD 2018.
- Met and worked with some famous faces.
- Worked at Real World studios as an assistant engineer.
Josh : Focusrite/Novation : Junior App Designer
- Helped to design and build mobile synthesizers
- Designed a mobile EQ
- Attended leading audio engineering conferences
- Helped to change the way that some people make music
- Wrote code to run on three leading App Store music apps
Matt : Digico : Student Test Engineer
- Contributed to development of exciting new products
- Had opportunities to go to free gigs and represent the company
- Attended many company social events - including being flown up to Scotland for a party
- Learnt loads about digital desks
- Got to play with really high end gear every day at work
Matt : North 7 Studios and Royal Academy of Music : Recording Engineer/Assistant
- Engineered on tracks for YOTA: Youth of the Apocalypse with Noel Gallagher, MF Doom and other guest artists.
- Assisted at writing camps for Island, Universal, Syco and other record labels.
- Wrote and recorded my own music.
- Saw film post production facilities in Soho.
- Engineered an orchestral short film session for Channel 4.
Mollie : DiGiCo : Test Engineer
- Spent the year using top-of-the-range mixing consoles
- Got to see soundcheck and a gig from FOH at Brixton Academy
- Some of my ideas during the development of new features were used and are part of customer releases
- Was one of the first people to use new, unreleased products
- Attended many work parties including the Christmas party in Scotland, which was all expenses paid
Oliver : Ableton AG : Production Assistant
- Enjoyed the incredible culture and nightlife of Berlin.
- Featured in several public videos on Ableton's YouTube channel.
- Shot and edited movies that were published onto the company's Instagram account.
- Was part of the production team for Ableton's Loop conference.
- Met and made some incredible friends.
Paul : Guildhall School of Music and Drama : Recording Assistant
- Did over 40 nights of live sound work including 5 nights at Ronnie Scott’s jazz club and many big bands.
- Was part of a team that ripped out and then completely reinstalled a music studio. Made a large contribution to decisions about the colour of the carpet (Orange).
- Made the first recording of a new opera commissioned by the royal opera house in the amazing acoustic of the Milton Court Concert Hall.
- Produced and engineered a 4 track Big Band EP with a band of graduate professional musicians and BBC Young Jazz Musician of the Year.
- Worked a 3-minute walk from the amazing White Cross Street food market and ate street food like a king.
Stojan : Charcoalblue : Acoustics Intern
- Visited well-known and prestigious venues during their construction, several of which I had visited as an audience member before, and being part of the team that designed them
- Travelled to London once a month for company gathering days
- Watched a production at the Bristol Hippodrome that was paid for by the company
- Lived and worked in the centre of Bristol and enjoying the food and music scene it has to offer
- Had my wellbeing as an employee respected, i.e. being provided with ice cream on hot days
Will : Jamie Scott : Assistant Engineer
- Recorded vocals for high profile artists such as Ellie Goulding and JP Cooper
- Built acoustic panels
- Sang backing vocals for artists such as Tom Odell/Ellie Goulding
- Created vocal harmony arrangements for tracks that may be released in the future
- Learnt a lot about mixing which allowed me to apply this to my own songs